Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mmmmm, Warm Bread

I have to explain the previous one word blog entry was an attempt to post using Nick's new iTouch. I had started to type, and before I knew what I had done, my two letters were now a blog entry.



Today is Wednesday, so I'm baking. That's at least how it's gone for the last several weeks. This week is a slight variation as I'm cooking at home rather than the Page residence. So right now, our apartment is filled with the delicious scent of baking bread. I need to go get an oil-change, but I was busy baking "a brick of deliciousness".

A few of you may remember the knitting fad of '06, or the sewing craze of '07. Right now I'm in my "bread period," and it's delicious. I've done a lot of bread research- yeasts, flours, methods, pans, etc. But I don't think anything beats the classic bread recipe from Janet Amodt that my mother made when I was little. When we lived at 988 (also known as "the ghetto") I think it was Thursday that was bread day. Every week on bread day, my mom would make several loaves of delicious bread, which were mostly eaten hot and fresh, and maybe with some jam. I think Harry and Liz may doubt us that this actually happened, and that it happened regularly.

With all of the bread experimening, I've found I love my champagne-finish Farberware bread pans. I love SAF instant yeast. And I love having an electric mixer. And I'd also love to get a Bosch mixer for Christmas or any occasion that may warrant getting a $300 gift.

Our friends the Pages found a magazine article about a new bread book that could change all of our lives. The book comes with a great secret: High moisture, pre-risen bread dough keeps well in the refridgerator for up to two weeks. I continue to whisper this secret to other bread enthusiasts, and I'm going to order the book "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day." We made a batch of this secret dough, and baked a loaf of bread three days later. It was not the greatest loaf of all time, but it was good. I think it was the best crust I've ever made.

I've also cultivated a sourdough starter, but it will take a couple weeks to develop flavor. My "Amodt" bread is out of the oven and smells delicious.

4 comments:

sarah said...

mmmmmm

sarah said...

I must comment again. Kara just surprised me at my door with a "block of deliciousness." The smell is wonderful and we can't wait to devour it. Thanks Kara!!!

Liz said...

Kara, we must be on the same schedule: I, too, have a bread post in the making and when you did your cake post (it was a very cute cake, by the way) I also had a cake post on its way out the door!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kara!