Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Greatest Disapointment of Nick's Life

Now, it's not exactly fair to say that Nick is a picky eater. You can definitely say he is a particular eater. In addition to the list of things/flavors he doesn't eat [pickles, beans, mustard, olives, tomatoes, etc] there is a list of things he eats only under special conditions. Top on this list is mayonnaise.

Nick would NEVER put mayonnaise on a sandwich, but he will eat Ranch dressing. Even though Ranch is 1/2 mayonnaise, he claims it doesn't taste like mayonnaise to him. However, for this discussion it is assumed he's talking about Kraft Ranch. No other Ranch will do. But now there's a problem.

Recently I bought a new bottle of Kraft Ranch. We had salad as part of dinner, and Nick kept double checking with me, "This is the Kraft Ranch? It doesn't taste like Kraft. It tastes like mayonnaise." Usually I would understand his paranoia, as I have made many generic substitutions to his diet. But I know that both macaroni and cheese and Ranch dressing must always be Kraft.

Despite my reassurance that I had indeed bought regular Kraft Ranch, he went to the fridge and got out the bottle. If Nick ever cried, I'm sure he would have right then, as he found the "New Fresh Taste!" disclaimer on the part of the label that breaks when you twist the cap off. He only had one dressing, and now they had taken it away. He's been in mourning ever since.

Today we went to Sam's Club and found ourselves in the commercial foods section as we gathered the ingredients to make 54 servings of green bean casserole for our ward Thanksgiving party tonight. Nick spotted their commercial Kraft Ranch dressing. The label was not the new design. The bottle made no claims of "Fresh New Taste!"
Just in case it is still the old Ranch formula that allegedly does not taste like mayonnaise, we are now the proud owners of one gallon of Kraft Ranch dressing.
Anybody having salad soon? We would love to share our dressing with you.

7 comments:

Jo Ellen/Toots said...

Nick doesn't eat home-made Ranch dressing? The kind you buy a packet of at the grocery store and then go home and add buttermilk and mayonnaise. Love, Toots

simplysarah said...

I used to not like mayonnaise, but something happened and I got sucked in one degree of mayo at a time...kind of like a frog in gradually heated water...and now I will put it straight out on a sandwich.

Maybe you could sneak teensy bits of mayo into Nick's foods until someday he will embrace it and all the new fresh tasting mayo-based ingredients? ;)

Liz said...

Poor Nick.

Mayonnaise is one of the small pleasures of life.

Last night I mad "Crouching Chocolate Hidden Oatmeal" Cookies and I thought of you.

Sara said...

I've never known anyone who doesn't eat home-made ranch dressing. Ryan doesn't put mayo on a sandwich either, but he drinks home-made ranch dressing.

sarah said...

Grace will be more than happy to partake in Nick's bounty. She noticed a difference in the "Fresh New Taste" Kraft dressing as well.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nick,
Now you know aussies don't put mayo on sandwiches, but I do sometimes especially chicken, lettuce and mayo. But I do love the Paul Newman's Ranch dressing and I'll just about eat it on anything. Have a try!!! you might enjoy.
Love Aussie Aunt Lisa

Nick said...

Good to hear from you Aunt Lisa. Thanks for the tip. I will try the Newman's Own, but I have to get through a gallon of Kraft first.