Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Just Can't Make This Stuff Up

Be sure to vote in the Utah Baby Name's Poll, boys edition.

A few weird things have happened to us in St. Louis, and today I have another one to add to the list.

I was with my friend Sarah who had just had her braces taken off (Hurray!) and we were celebrating with her first post-alignment meal. Sarah made a comment that the helicopters sure sounded loud today. Since Sarah and I both live near two trauma-one hospitals and two children's hospitals, you might be surprised by how many helicopters and ambulances we're accustomed to hearing in a day.

A moment later, I commented to Sarah that yes, the helicopter was really loud, sounding like a lawnmower just outside her window or like a helicopter just overhead. In that instant, Sarah leaped out of her seat as she pointed outside. I turned around in time to see a cop in a bullet-proof vest disappear out of the corner of the courtyard. (I'm not sure if he jumped over the fence or what.)

We moved upstairs, for a couple reasons. It stands to logic that stray bullets are usually not that high (we hope, but fortunately we heard no shots fired.) And most importantly, I wanted to get a better view of the action. Nothing more happened in the front yard, but several minutes later we saw the cops, all in the vests, haul off a teenaged-looking suspect in cuffs. The helicopter continued to zoom overhead for at least fifteen more minutes. I decided to stay inside until the coast was clear. Going to your car in the middle of a manhunt seems like a great way to be carjacked.

Mom, we're fine. We love it here.

6 comments:

Liz said...

It's like a t.v. show. Maybe I'll cancel my cable, buy you a twenty-four hour webcam, and tune in to your life for entertainment. I'll watch you at dinnertime when I'd usually watch the food network, I'll watch you sew when I'd be watching HGTV, and I'll watch any old time when I'm in the mood for a cop drama. Whaddya say?

Sara said...

Good comment, Liz.

sarah said...

I must point out we learned two important facts - when running from the cops one should never wear a bright red jacket and one should be sure to wear pants that actually stay up where they are supposed to. The "sag" really do "drag."

Brittany Owens said...

I love it! Ah the joys. Well I am glad that nothing serious happened to you. Sometimes it is always nice to have a little excitement in our lives.

Steph, Joe, and Sophia said...

I heard a name the other day that I wanted to share with you. It was a little boy's name although Im sure it could be androgynous. Wicker. Gross. You could add it to your poll.

Linette Smith said...

i know it's your "normal" living in st lou. can't wait to see you in six days. Kate rebooked your southwest tickets and saved about half because ticket prices dropped.

see you soon.

p.s. how much does a flack jacket cost? (for a pregnant women?)