Friday, January 2, 2009

We're Never Moving Again

The move out is complete. We've turned over the keys to our old apartment. It's much cleaner than when we moved into it, and we even changed the burnt out light bulb in the bathroom that we hadn't bothered to change for ourselves.

The move in is less complete. There are still no pictures because I haven't dug out the camera and the computer isn't assembled. The apartment is almost at the peak of chaos- where things are coming out of boxes and the mess just kebveps getting bigger. In the next few days I hope the mess will begin to shrink. It takes so long to unpack because we have to think of where to put things: where's the best place to put our cereal? Which wall should we put the big clock on? Which painting goes above the mantle? How are we going to make due with only one towel rack? The decisions are endless.

I had a list of things that we had lost in the previous move that I was hoping to rediscover as we packed. We've now spotted the things on the list, but I'm sure that we will have misplaced more stuff in this move. Things recently found include my teeth whitening kit, a wireless router, a stainless steel vegetable brush, and a couple of specific books. I also found about fifty hair elastics, which I can't exactly blame Nick for.

Nick definitely did more than half the work. I don't think that the labor would have been divided equally anyway, but Nick wouldn't let me carry anything heavy or stay on my feet too long. If we ever move again, which at this point I'm saying is never, I really want full-service movers who come and pack your stuff for you. That's not likely to happen, so I hope that it's far enough in the future that we've forgotten how troublesome it is to move.

5 comments:

Jo Ellen/Toots said...

At least you're all moved out, and are in one place with all of your things. Love, toots

Dallas said...

Movers steal more stuff than you would lose doing it yourself.

Wendy said...

What a cute hubby!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your all moved in and Nick did a majority of it. You should be taking it easy, we moved to Canberra one week after the babies were born and my doctor wouldn't let me out of hospital so Terry did all of it with the movers help and I stayed in hospital for another week. The sisters of the ward unpacked alot of stuff so it was a breeze for me.

Jennie Taylor said...

Kara, I'm totally with you!! Last time we moved (from AZ to North O), I swore I would NEVER move myself again!!! Now, we're on the brink of relocating, and here I am packing boxes and trying to figure out how to get my stuff from Point A to Point B when all I really want to do is sell it all and start over when I get there!!

Glad to see Nick is taking such good care of you and the little babe!!