Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sutures Look Like They Hurt

Sutures, or what laypeople call stitches, look like they are not fun. As a nurse, I removed lots of them, but have never any myself. Nick has been practicing his suturing technique. Right now he's on his first surgical rotation (Gynecologic surgery), and the opportunity may arise to help close at the end of a surgery. Nick went to a suturing technique class last year, but spent some time this weekend refreshing and refining the basics. Why the sponge? In the suturing class they suggested sponges as a good medium to mimic the resistance of actual humans. And unlike humans, the sponges hold still and don't complain.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Doug said...

Surgeons are useful to repair torn rafts before patches are applied.

Map Maker said...

You've never had sutures? I think you must be living life much too cautiously.

And they do hurt, much more than the injury in my case.

Map Maker said...

I guess I should have said, the huge needle they use to deaden the wound before the sutures hurt more than the injury

Sara said...

I'm glad that sponge isn't my leg or arm or any part of my body.

CR's blog said...

Last week at work I was running around a corner. My scrubs shirt pocket got caught on a door handle and the side seam ripped from the bottom to the armpit (aka axilla). We sewed it up with some 6.0 vicryl.

Dallas said...

When Owen bit into the top and bottom of his tongue (requiring two stitches on top and two on bottom), the doctor who sewed it up was amazing. Owen was wiggling his tongue all over the place, and the doc followed the tongue with the needle like target-locked, laser guided missile. He did a much better job than a younger doc did on Owen's eye.

Kara said...

Who is CR's blog?

Robert or Liz said...

Sedated humans dont complain. Awake humans dont complain either, but their eyes get really big when you poke them in the bone or somewhere you didnt put lidocaine. I dont envy nick, ob is fun, gyn. . ., I dont like the placenta generally.

Alana said...

Hi Nick and Kara! Glad to have your blogspot so we can keep in touch better. I haven't had a chance to look at your blog very much yet, I just thought I would leave you a message so it would leave our blogspot link. P.S. We are trying to move out to St. Louis soon. We'll keep you posted.