Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Brian Presents: satellite showing

Tonight will the first satellite audience for "Brian Presents." As a senior in high school, Brian hosted a movie night at his parent's house on weekends. It wasn't a typical teenage gathering. The evening began with a lecture, explaining the merits and style of the movie. The movie was then watched, without interruption or conversation. If it was a comedy, there was lots of laughing. I always cried (and still do) at any tragedies. After the film, there was a discussion about the movie, its themes, techniques, what we liked or didn't like. And of course, there were refreshments. In its first year, I think I was in charge of refreshments most of the time, but only because I appointed myself.
So tonight, "Brian Presents" continues its rich tradition, showing the Chinese film, "The Blue Kite." Since I can't get to Michigan for the evening, I'm bringing the Blue Kite to Bountiful. I had to call around to find it. Harry picked it up in Salt Lake on his way home from work. I'll be listening to the pre-movie lecture given by Brian, via long-distance telephone. Sarah Davies and I are going to watch the movie here at my mom's house, and we'll have our own post-movie discussion. And of course, there will be refreshments.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I hope you enjoyed the movie - it wasn't exactly a smash hit here. Maybe I should have gone with something more accessible, like Raise the Red Lantern. Still, I really love The Blue Kite.

simplysarah said...

I have to say that I liked the Blue Kite WAY better than RTRL. Plus, the refrehshments were amazing....both times....;)