Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Togo Takes Bronze!

During the Olympic opening ceremonies, the commentators reflected on how the majority of participating countries have NEVER won an Olympic medal and had little or no hope of winning one this year. One of those win-less countries is Togo.
What?? You aren't familiar with Togo? The small western African nation, sandwiched between Ghana and Benin is home to six million people, but no Olympic champions . . . until today. Benjamin Boukpeti earned the Bronze medal in K1 Whitewater Kayaking. Even though he grew up and trains in France, I'm sure Togo is very proud to call him their own.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I like to make Togo jokes when ever I have a "to go" order. They always fall really flat and even I don't think they are funny, but by now it's tradition.

Liz said...

Thanks for the info, and double thanks for the surprise package I got today! Believe me, George doesn't care what color his pacifiers are. The Hooter Hider is even better than I imagined it as I watched the mothers around me using it. I can see my baby while he eats, nobody around me catches glimpses of things they don't want to see, and we both get a lot less sweaty than we did without it. (B/c I was using those flannel receiving blankets. Why? I don't know, It's just what I always have used.)

Thank you, my friend. Thank you for thinking of me.