Friday, May 16, 2008

Tagged Post

Shannon has given me a very odd tag- pick up the nearest book, turn to page 123, find the fifth sentence. Post the next three sentences. Shannon rightfully predicted the book nearest me would "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer. I had just finished it when I checked Shannon's blog.

"Her face was a mass of wrinkles, all of them turning down into angry lines. But there was something familiar about the features behind the lines. Melanie made the connection between this ancient face and another, smoother face in her memory."

I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the tag. I finished The Host in just over a 24-hour period. While I enjoyed it, a lot, I see a few too many similarities between the characters of this book and the Twilight series. I wonder how many stories Stephenie Meyer actually has. Also, since I've been reading books that didn't come out of the scholastic book order, I've read very few books written in first person. But Stephenie Meyer's four books so far are all in first person, and if the other two Twilight books weren't in first person they wouldn't fit in.

The next most recent read was Ether Day. Very interesting. I have it here in Salt Lake with me if anyone wants to borrow it. "Ether Day: America's greatest medical discovery and the haunted men who made it." It's not only about the discovery of surgical anesthesia, but the fight that followed for 30 years over credit, money, and the ability to create a medical patent. It was fascinating.

1 comment:

Mitch Preston said...

I thought you'd like to know (unless you already know...)the title of the fourth book in the "Twilight" series is called, "Breaking Dawn". The cover has 2 pieces of a chess set on it. In the foreground, its a queen(coloured white), and in the background there is a red pawn.