Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Few Things to Remember

Henry and Georgia are changing so quickly, there are a few things I want to remember about how they are right now. 
Georgia is growing quickly.  I think she's close to 11 pounds now.  I've had to put away some of her 0-3 month clothes but most still fit.  She smiles now.  She is much more laid back and cries much less than Henry did, and probably less than he does now too.  I didn't realize he was a relatively hard baby until I had her to compare.  She's over her baby acne, her eyes are a non-descript hazel color.  She has nice eye lashes but not as impressive as Henry's.  She sleeps for a good five or six hour stretch at night, but unfortunately the stretch doesn't begin until about 1:00 or 2:00 AM.  She takes a power nap about ten at night, then wakes up and wants to be held for a couple of hours.  But when she finally gets back to sleep, we both get some good rest. 
She likes a binkie.  She hates to be swaddled.  She likes to sleep with her hands above her shoulders, and demands that her legs be free to kick.  She likes her swing a lot.  When I'm desperate for her to sleep, say around 1:30 AM, I ignore all the baby book advice and put her in the swing and let her fall asleep.  Whatever it's costing me in batteries, it's worth it (and we're still on her first set of Duracells.)

Henry's vocabulary is exploding every day.  He is constantly saying things that leave me wondering where he learned that.  It's a little more difficult to put his skin medications on as he's fighting me and screaming, "Just stop it, mom. Stop it!"  General crying is far easier to ignore that specific instructions.  He loves showing off all the words he knows as we read books.  He loves to point to the pictures and tell me what it is. 
He can follow simple instructions, when he chooses to.  We now send him to grab something from another room or pick something up.  He gets distracted sometimes, but often completes the task.  He loves to do puzzles, and I think it will be very few years before he's better at it than I am.  (I'm not good at puzzles, but he seems to have aptitude.)
Photo by Jo Ellen
He loves to push things around.  His shopping cart continues to get pushed from one end of the house to the other.  When we're outside, he pushes a Tonka fire truck from one end of the sidewalk to the other, over and over and over again.  It seems the only time he deviates from his  path is to chase the dog with it.  He still ends up in time out for harassing the dog almost daily.  They also play nicely together a lot. 
Henry loves books.  His favorite right now is A Mouse in the House by Henrietta.  We read it and find the hidden mouse on each page at least once every day.  I just ordered the sequel.  He also loves Thomas the Tank Engine Books, and really any book.  He always manages to talk me into reading a few extra ones at nap time and bed time.
When he says "my turn," he really means, "Give that to me, and you're never going to get it back."  He's pretty good at consistently saying thank you.  He can't say "Henry" understandably, but is very clear saying "Georgia."
Right after Georgia was born and we had a month of guests, I was very frustrated at every turn with Henry.  He was constantly telling me no and fighting every thing all the time.  Now that we're settled into our new normal, he's much more pleasant and agreeable.  Elements of the terrible two's are still visible, but I'm no longer tempted to exchange him for a different model.

6 comments:

Jo Ellen/Toots said...

I love this post. They grow up so quickly. As exhausting as it is, enjoy them . . . because 20 years goes by very quickly. As I've said before, what I would give to have my nieces and nephews be two and three and four and five years old again. Love, Toots

Brey, Hillary, Leila & Lydia said...

Why is it that boys do end up with better eyelashes- my nephew has georgous eyelashes!! i was wondering why you only had 20 minutes before you delivered- was it just fast? were you laboring at home?

Liz said...

"Tempted to exchange him for a different model." That was brilliant writing, right there!

Iuliana@Hip2Thrift said...

You are awesome Kara and your kids are adorable.

Savories of life said...

Do come over and see my blog giveaway.

Yes they grow up quickly the baby in my fmaily will be 5 this month! Little ones are so much fun!!

Jo Ellen/Toots said...

I love how polite Henry is when he's telling you he's not going to do something you've asked him to do. "Would you please pick that up, Henry?" "No, thank you."