Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I'm a Shoplifter

I am guilty of stealing from the Goodwill . . . unintentionally. I just picked up a sweet Little Tikes Kitchenette from the Kirkwood Goodwill. The really funny part of the whole story is me trying to fit the kitchenette into the car- I found out it doesn't fit in the trunk. The item ended up riding home with me in the passenger seat with the back fully reclined. In this state, my care only fits the kitchenette and the driver- no passengers allowed.

Back to the shoplifting- on unloading the kitchenette, I discovered a stowaway. The stolen item is a doll, but not one I would let a child play with. It has a plastic head and dirty canvas body, with a price tag of a dollar on it. I feel the most responsible thing is to simply throw the doll away and be relieved that the Typhoid Mary toy is out of circulation.

But how to calm my guilt over pirating a $1 item away from charity? Should I donate a dollar? But that rewards the practice of selling dirty dolls. Clean the doll and re-donate to Goodwill? Donate something else they can sell for a dollar, something that won't give children hepatitis?

Comment on your opinion. The kitchenette is for the darling Douglas baby, Afton Douglas. Nick and I use a real Kitchen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote Goodwill should give you $1 for removing the source of a possible future lawsuit, e.g., child contracts flesh-eating disease from doll. And I laughed at your comment that you and Nick use a real kitchen. Love, Toots

Anonymous said...

Again, you had me laughing.

Becky Slivka said...

Kara Jo I'm so glad you found me! I actually have no idea how you did, but I"m so glad. I had no idea you were in Missouri and I would have loved to see you in Cleveland. You are as hilarious as ever, and I chuckled when I read that one of your favorite things was waking up after the sun was up. Your commentary on life is so funny. I have to do some more exploring on your blog to see exactly what you are doing in Missouri and what Nick is doing, I stopped to write a comment before checking things out. I'm so glad your so happy. As for the doll, I don't know what you should do, whatever will make your conscience clean I guess.

Brian said...

Your funny! One only gets so many chances to use Typhoid Mary material, so I'm glad you took advantage.