Wednesday, December 12, 2007

And the Cookie Award goes to . . .

The annual St. Mary's 4ICU cookie competition was today. After a lot of anticipation and trash-talking, there was a total upset. A dark horse won the competition: Nicholas Johnson was declared the grand champion of the cookie-off. Since the rules stated that anyone may participate, I invited Nick to Join us. A couple of participants had backed out, and I wanted a healthy level of participation to make it a real competition. Nick's entry would flesh things out a bit.

As the scores were tallied on a spreadsheet, I was certain that I had conquered the competition. I was a bit surprised, but pleasantly so, when the final cookie's score came through: Nick's cookies had the highest average score, 4.06, with my cookies coming in second at 4.03. His award ribbon reads, "Grand Champion," so he has now requested he be referred to as "Nicholas Grand Cookie Champion" Johnson. He will also accept "Grand Champion" for short.

My cookie entry was my family's traditional Michael Jackson cookies, made with dutch processed cocoa.

Nick made Sarah Page's cookie recipe, posted as a comment to my previous blog entry regarding the cookie competition. He called his cookies "Santa Hats," which are sprayed with canned whipped cream just prior to eating.

For the record, Nick's extra points came in appearance, not taste. Although his cookies were delicious, nothing tops the marshmallowy goodness of the Michael Jackson cookie.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I need the recipe for the Michael Jackson cookies. I've had them before, enjoyed them, but I can't really remember how to make them.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the "dark-horse" winner and to the second-place winner! How fun! Love, Toots

sarah said...

I have to agree, the MJ cookies were outstanding. What exactly did you do to tweak the recipe? I ate all three of them last night (and a Kolatchy and a cherry bomb...)